Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The 59th Street Bridge Song

When I was growing up I would spend a lot of time in the car with my dad. In order for me and my brother to go to day camp, my dad worked at the camp and it seemed to be a really really long drive from our home. To make the time pass (and probably drown out our whining) we listened to a lot of music. I distinctly remember Bruce Springsteen and Simon and Garfunkel. Why am I bringing this up today? Because the opening lines of S&G's 59th Street Bridge Song are circling in my head.

"Slow down, you move to fast..."

It is not that I am moving too fast, rather, I feel like I am moving too slow and LP is leaps and bounds ahead of me. Last night I found her climbing the stairs! She would put her hands a couple of stairs up, lift one leg and get a knee up, then the other knee, slide her feet in a bit, stand and repeat. She was on the second step before I could even run out of the kitchen to stop her.

On an intellectual level, I know that kids develop every second of every minute of every day for the first year(s); on the emotional and practical level this just seems surreal to me. I stopped evolving a long time ago and now I am expected to adapt and change and be prepared for something new and different that I didn't even think about 5 minutes ago?! Wow, this parenting gig is rough.

No comments: