Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Only In My Dreams

Did you ever have a really vivid dream where someone you know slights you in some way? You know, those dreams where your spouse is cheating on you, or calls you chubby? Or your co-worker takes credit for your work?

These are the dreams where you wake up with your jaw clenched and even as you realize it is a dream you want to reach over and smack your spouse upside the head. They won't know what they did wrong and will then be pissed at you for jarring them out of their nice slumber.

Last night/this morning I had one of these dreams and the result was really strange and unlike anything I have ever experienced. I got mad at myself in the dream for my reaction to the offending party. Instead of going off and getting mad at them, I took a few deep breaths and reasoned out (all in my head) what I could have done differently to diffuse the situation.

I mean really, how bizarre is that? I thought dreams were retreats from reality for the mind. I have turned into a grown-up EVEN IN MY DREAMS.

I am not sure how I feel about this. Sure I have a husband and a 1.5 year old and a mortgage and a job and I can't stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve but I never really thought I was an adult; I was just really really good at bullshitting that I was an adult. Sometime recently my mind made the switch to make me a full-on mature person. Is there a way to flick the lever back in the other direction?!

6 comments:

A's Mom said...

I wonder if that's what happens when you're getting ready for your second child. Instead of the nervous/anxious phase, you turn into an adult instead... Damn.

KiKi said...

You mean no more pimp slapping during your dreams? Man, sucks big time. Hugs.

That Chick Over There said...

I have woken up GLARING at Jason, so many times. Poor guy.

Wenderina said...

I just had a bizarre dream the other night that hubby not only was unemployed again, but that he was becoming a pot addict and I found him deep-frying peanut m-n-m's. Is that even possible?

It was SO vivid that I think I forced myself to wake up because I knew if I didn't I'd be exhausted from being so furious at him. That was the extent of my adult behavior - stopping the dream - not making up with him. That would take a whole other level of browing up.

Wenderina said...

growing up...

Unknown said...

I'm not usually the dreamer of the family, but I can say that My Hubby has woken up many times glaring at me... Does that mean he's more grown up? Or does he just work through more issues in his sleep? :)