Monday, August 6, 2007

Milk on a Plane!

When I went on my horrific business trip to Phoenix while still breast feeding LP, one of my big issues was that I had to 'pump and dump' because you couldn't bring breast milk on a plane if you didn't have an infant. At the time, LP's only fluid intake was from my liquid gold, and it was really devastating to flush this precious resource.

I read today that the Transportation Security Administration has finally revised its policy regarding breast milk.

"Mothers flying with, and now without, their child will be permitted to bring breast milk in quantities greater than three ounces as long as it is declared for inspection at the security checkpoint.

Breast milk is in the same category as liquid medications. Now, a mother flying without her child will be able to bring breast milk through the checkpoint, provided it is declared prior to screening."

It doesn't impact me right now, although the horrible previous policy is one of the key reasons I had sworn off travelling for work. I am glad that the government has finally reconsidered its unfriendly and ridiculous policy. It will be interesting to see how this works in practice. Can't you just see some idiot making you throw out your breast milk bags because they are frozen and therefore not liquid?

As for how important the TSA felt the policy change is, it is relegated to a few short sentences buried below the new rules for lighters and game show consoles. Glad someone's priorities are straight.

No comments: