Monday, October 26, 2009

Shoot Me Now

Saturday after ballet I took LP for her seasonal flu shot. A few weeks ago she received her first dose of the H1N1 vaccine as a flu mist and in about 4 weeks (hopefully, if the vaccine is available) she will get her second dose. She cried a bit as she was getting the shot, but in general she handled it well and quieted down as soon as she popped the lollipop the doctor provided into her mouth.

Approximately an hour after leaving the pediatrician's office, I was back. With AK.

AK had spent the morning with the Hoos and he didn't think she looked right. They got home from a local outdoor sports store shortly after LP and me and I concurred and bundled her back into the car. We will ignore the fact that the Hoos passed the pediatrician's office on his way home from said sports store, especially since their only purchase was a pair of really cute clearance shoes for me.

Poor bunny had a fever and the snots and the start of an ear infection. They tested her for the flu (both the Flu A and B? Not sure if this is swine flu and regular?) but she was negative, despite her fever and rosy cheeks. We left with a prescription for antibiotics for her ear and the advice to give her Motrin and Tylenol to control her fever.

By Sunday morning she was on the mend and the fever was broken. But let me tell you, having a baby with 102 for a prolonged period is nerve-wracking enough, I have no desire to watch either of my children suffer with any kind of flu. This totally reinforces my decision to vaccinate the girls. I keep hoping that the H1N1 vaccine will be available for those under two soon. I always feel so helpless when wither of my babies are sick and if vaccinating them will decrease their chances of being knocked down and out for a few days - count me in!

No comments: