Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Turning a Blind Eye

On Friday I confirmed with an optometrist that I had broken blood vessels in my left eye and while it looked nasty, there was no deeper problem. It would take two to three weeks to heal and would likely look worse before it looked better as gravity pulled the pooled blood down from the top of my eye, where it was mostly hidden by my eyelid, to the lower part of my eye.

Amazingly, my children have not noticed my condition. I know this because, first of all, no two and a half year old is polite enough to ignore it. Heck, most adults I encounter are not polite enough to ignore it, looking at me and gasping, "What happened to your eye?!"

Secondly, LP is a very empathetic person. If she sees a boo-boo, no matter how old or how nasty, she wants to kiss it. She gets upset if you don't let her kiss it. I am pretty sure that she would be kissing my eyelid every ten seconds if she had observed the injury.

As for AK, the only thing she has noticed is that I have been wearing my glasses. She frequently likes to reach up and tear them off of my head.

Today is the first day I am wearing my contacts since breaking the vessels and I am thrilled. I am realizing, however, that the glasses to some degree obscured my eye and either it looks more disgusting than ever, or I work with some pretty tactless people. Hmm...a toss up.

2 comments:

Wenderina said...

You know everyone at work is tactles. In fact, it is likely only because I didn't see you that I didn't say anything...

KiKi said...

Sorry. It is quite startling though.