Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I Voted Today

I set my alarm for 6am this morning so I could get up, get out and VOTE. Considering it wasn't a great night with AK, this really was tougher than it sounds.

Regardless, I am proud to say that I was a responsible citizen and exercised my right to vote. Yes, the lines were long - but not too bad. I waited for about 25 minutes. But you know what, I think long lines are a GOOD thing. People care. People who never voted before were hauling their butts over to their polling places to have their voices heard. This makes me really proud.

In addition to being proud of myself and my community, I am finding myself really emotional about the whole election. Just wondering what sort of emotion the candidates must be experiencing today. Especially Barack Obama. We really are on the cusp of something huge. How can you not be inspired...emotional...full...right now?

And to stop myself from sounding too weepy, can I just give a dirty look to the lady standing on the corner near my polling place with a sign "Vote Yes to Question 1". Question 1 is a question to allow a Constitutional Convention in Connecticut. The sole purpose for this Convention would be to ban same-sex marriages. I stared at this woman and wondered - what kind of person are you to want to deny others happiness? A person with the right to free speech. But still not the sort of person I would want to spend any time with.

2 comments:

Wenderina said...

Amen sista.

KiKi said...

I voted too. Yay!

Can you imagine how much better the world would be if people spent most of their time focusing on how to make their own life better by becoming a better person rather than worrying about what someone else is doing? Ugh...