Thursday, September 25, 2008

She's STARVING

After the 2pm call from day care when they told me she drank all 3 bottles in less than 5 hours, I promised to pick AK up earlier than usual so I could feed her.

At 3:40 I got another phone call informing me that Miss Louise spoke to the director (my favorite person!) and it was ILLEGAL for them to not have extra food on hand for the children and I had to pick AK up right away. I love my baby, very, very much. I do not want her to starve. And I really truly do appreciate that AK's teachers also care deeply about her well-being. But ILLEGAL? Give me a break.

Regardless, I told Miss Louise that I would leave the office right away to pick up AK. And I let her know that I would send in some frozen milk for them to put in the freezer for back-up. "Okay, I will check and see if that is okay. See you soon."

As I drove to rescue my starving (and yet, sleeping) baby, I was seething. First of all, since we have to send in prepared bottles and none of our kids eat "food" yet, do people send in cans of formula as back up for formula-fed babies? I don't know the answer to this, but I had never heard of it being done from the other moms. And second, how could the frozen milk not be okay? My child is breast fed. She doesn't eat formula. The only option is frozen milk, since I am not going to make an exception JUST for back up for day care.

I picked AK up, she was fine. Apparently she would have still been sleeping but they had a fire drill and had to pick her up and move her so she woke up. I hope that AK has grown significantly when I take her for her 4 month check up. Because if this isn't a growth spurt I am not quite sure what I am going to do.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I am sure this is a growth spurt. At least I hope so.