Thursday, May 3, 2007

Out of Focus

Once again I find myself at a fork in the road (note to self: get LP a copy of The Muppet Movie). I am not really deciding which path to take, but rather in which direction I want to stretch myself. Do I want to push myself to reach higher on the professional side of my life, or do I want to instead spread my wings in my not-work life? How do I want to expend my excess (ha ha) energy?

This is all quite metaphorical, I know, so I will give you an example of some of the questions running through my head:
  • Should I look for new and interesting opportunities at my current job (if they exist)?
  • Should I look for a new job?
  • Should I try to get involved in activities with LP (e.g., swimming at Y, playgroups at the synagogue)?
  • Should I take another class toward my MBA?
The thing is, I am quite sure that I can't do it all. I am only one person after all, and there is still grocery shopping, laundry, dishes, and a host of other things that need to get done. I need to focus my efforts but I am having a hard time deciding which endeavors to pursue.

I really like the comfort of inertia. Although, I am not used to being the passive hitchhiker that lets life lead me to my next adventure. In reality, as a parent to a growing infant/toddler I need to plan certain things - particularly when it comes to taking care of myself. But even finding the time and the interest to plan seems to be an effort. I gave myself a big pat on the back for making a haircut appointment a week in advance. Now I just have to remember to show up next Wednesday for my much needed trim.

No comments: