Tuesday, May 8, 2007

What A Difference 45 Minutes Makes

Forty-five minutes may not sound like much, but it can make all the difference to a mom.

Consider all that you can accomplish if your child takes a 45 minute nap. (Of course, it is impossible to predict how long an actual nap will be...but that is a chat for another day.) Also, keep in mind, the more experience you have as a mom the more you can accomplish or - perhaps more importantly - the less you can choose to accomplish.
  1. Put up a load of laundry
  2. Prepare and eat your lunch while reading the paper, or your email, or watching mindless TV
  3. Prepare child's lunch
  4. Move laundry to dryer
  5. Empty or load or put up the dishwasher
  6. General straightening up of the house
Now that I have stopped pumping at the office, which was approximately three fifteen minute sessions in the lactation room, I am hyper-efficient. I feel like I have vast amounts of free time on my hands. Of course, the trade magazines that I used to collect to read while pumping are piling up on my desk, but the work doesn't last long in my inbox!

On a related note, last night after her bath, I gave LP a warmed bottle of milk. It didn't put her to sleep, but it seriously decreased the amount of time she nursed. Which, by the way, also didn't put her to sleep. When the Hoos did bring her up to her crib she quickly rolled over, smiled up at him and assumed the meatloaf position. This weaning thing may be much easier than I anticipated. LP has spoiled me, boy am I screwed when it is time for baby #2!

No comments: