Thursday, May 10, 2007

Appreciate This!

Apparently this week is "Staff Appreciation Week" at LP's day care. I only know this because yesterday when I went to pick her up I noticed photocopied signs pasted up in the hallways. What this means, or how it came about - I have no idea. My vague sense is that I am supposed to somehow show appreciation to LP's teachers. Without much notice or forethought, I am at a loss.

Shame on me, I should have know something was up. Last week, my niece called me and asked me if I could come to her school tomorrow for "Special Person Appreciation Day." Again, I have never heard of something like this, but I figured she was asking because she wanted her little cousin to come in for some sort of show and tell. But I digress...

Day care professionals for the most part are underpaid. Yes, we pay lots and lots of money for LP to go to school, but those dollars do not trickle down to the people that actually care for my child three days a week. These folks get paid by the hour, do not get paid vacation, and get bodily fluids splashed on to them at least several times a week. They deserve to be appreciated, but I am not quite sure how best to do this. Ideally, the school would set aside some funds to buy them lunch or breakfast or something a few days during this week, but since there are signs posted in the building, I am guessing they expect parents to somehow contribute.

As of right now, I have put together personalized cards for each teacher thanking them for taking such good care of my baby girl. A cop out, I know. Considering I have only an hour and a half between when I leave the office and have to pick up LP and lately it has taken me half of that to get to her, I don't have much time to come up something inventive. There is a drive-through Dunkin Donuts on my route, that is about it. Other than DD gift cards, I am scratching my head trying to figure out what I can get them.

Ideas from the peanut gallery?

1 comment:

Lori said...

Hey, Just came across this: http://www.alphamom.com/site/buzzoff/2007/05/10/teacher_appreciation_week_hey.html
Good luck!