Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Flashback: May 1st a Century (or So) Ago

In 2001, the Hoos and I spent May 1 in Paris. Most of the city was closed down, apparently it is a holiday, but I distinctly remember walking around some parks and spending some time at a fountain watching a mama duck and her line of ducklings practice swimming and begging tourists for crumbs. Ah, how times have changed...

This first day of May:
  • This morning there was no traipsing through Paris with my gorgeous young boyfriend, pan au chocolat in hand; rather, I walked through the parking lot at my office, breast pump over one shoulder, laptop over the other. (The Hoos is still quite attractive and young, though).
  • At the end of the day, instead of being greeted by various staff at the glorious George V with a "Bonsoir, mademoiselle!" I receive a distinctive "hehehe" giggle when I open the door to LP's classroom.
  • Instead of dinner on the Seine, complete with a cheese plate and heavenly baguettes, the meal will be prepared by one of the finest chefs in Norwalk (that would be me) and consumed with a view of whatever is showing on the Discovery Channel.
  • The best part - in 2007, I am the mama duck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful memories. Life is..memories

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. Oh, how the times have changed. I'm heading to Paris this year, for my birthday with my DH- ALONE! I can't wait.