Wednesday, April 11, 2007

No More Tears

My vision is piss poor. To contend with this, I have worn extended wear contact lenses for at least the last 15 years. I wear them 24 hours a day. I love them. In fact, earlier this year my optometrist introduced me to lenses that you can wear (day and night) for an entire month!

As a working mom I really can't imagine life without them. When I do give my eyes a break and wear my glasses, it is a challenge to keep little fingers off of them (for some reason LP loves to pull them off). And on nights like last night when LP is up and raring to go at 3am, I hate that I can't just wake up and see. Not that putting on my glasses is strenuous, but it definitely makes me appear and feel as if I am more awake then I really am. Unrelated to being a working mom, I love to read in bed and even though I am near-sighted, it is better for me to read with my glasses on but extremely uncomfortable when you are laying on your side.

For the past few days I have have an uncontrollable tearing in my left eye. It looks like I have just come in from the cold and my eyes are watering . It is annoying. I went to the ophthalmologist this morning who told me that it is the result of me sleeping in my contact lenses. She recommends that I wear my glasses exclusively for the next few weeks. I haven't worn my glasses for more than a 24 hour period in a long time. This is excruciating to me. I am thankful that I updated my glasses frames a couple of years ago, otherwise I might have holed up in the house until the eye leakage stopped.

No comments: