Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Outstanding Questions

In the last few days I have been asked some parenting questions. Not the "Dear Abby" kind, because lord knows I am no advice columnist, but on a more personal level.

The other day a colleague with two daughters similar in age to LP and AK asked me, "Honestly, isn't it so much harder than you thought it would be?"

Not really. But mostly because I didn't put any expectations on the job. I just wanted to be an awesome wife and mother. When my kids are trying or difficult or thriving and fabulous I remind myself, "This is what I signed up for." Being a mom means taking the good with the bad. It means glowing in a brilliant move made by your progeny and shielding them from the flames of others (and focusing your own on them) when they do something unacceptable.

When I am not complaining about my daughters, and even when I am, I love them. I always wanted to have children and be a mom and I often feel like the luckiest person on the planet (okay, maybe not on Monday). Which leads me to the second question:

Are you going to go for three?

I have been blessed with two happy, healthy little girls. Munchkins that are now getting really good at playing together and entertaining one another. I can see the end in sight for diapers. With each classroom promotion at day care, I see my bills decrease. Our family fits perfectly into my CRV and there is even room for me in between the car seats if need be (the same can't be said for the Hoos' Accord unfortunately). Sure we are outgrowing our house, but everyone has their own bedroom.

I am also worried about pushing our luck. AK was born with a knot in her umbilical cord. In the delivery room, when we asked the doctors what that could mean, they said, "Nothing. Now. It is good luck." Only recently did I learn just how lucky we were.

I am not closing the door on having another child. But it is a complicated decision that we are not yet ready to answer.

And, to respond to a final question, NO! we do not feel like we "need to try for a boy."

No comments: