Saturday, April 11, 2009

Crazy Like a Loon

The last week has been crazy.

Last Saturday my brother-in-law and nieces came in from Hungary. They came to our house immediately after arriving (along with my in-laws and other brother-in-law and his family) for a bagel dinner.

Sunday was my mother-in-law's birthday celebration and we had brunch at The Red Barn (an institution here in Southwestern Connecticut and one of the last taverns still standing despite the recent economic turmoil). While it was nice, it definitely reminded me how much I hate the "all you can eat" brunch idea.

First, there is no way I possibly eat $25 worth of food. Good for the restaurant, bad for the person picking up the check. Second, in case you haven't noticed, I am not a patient woman by nature. Buffet brunches are so freaking inefficient! I always get stuck behind a slow moving old couple. And you can't really jump ahead. People will give you the evil eye. The only "all you can..." concept I ever liked was the "all the watered-down beer you can drink" in college. For a few months during my freshman year I might have drank my money's worth (of water).

Monday I went in to the office. This is unusual for me since Monday is typically a work from home day. So unusual that my brother-in-law called in the afternoon and asked about getting together and pretty much invited his family over for dinner. I got home with the girls at 5:30, I fed the girls at 6 while I made meatballs, my five guests showed up around 6:15 and we sat down to eat around 6:45. I went to bed at 9:30. The Hoos asked me if I was sick; In case the look I shot him didn't say it all, I replied "No, just EXHAUSTED."

Tuesday was pretty normal. Except the Hoos had a work event and didn't get home until after both girls were bathed and in bed.

Wednesday the Hoos and I kept the girls home and both worked from home in the morning in anticipation of leaving for the first Seder at my parents' house shortly after lunch. We both got a minimal amount accomplished for work and left at 1:30. We then sat in traffic and two hours later got to Bohemia. LP fell asleep approximately 15 minutes before we pulled in to their driveway. Everyone enjoyed the Seder and my girls charmed all of the guests by being very well-behaved and all-around adorable. The drive was shorter, but LP didn't fall asleep until we got back to CT. She talked the entire rest of the trip.

Thursday I was back at work. Until 3:30. Then I had to pack up, get the girls and head to my in-laws for 24 more people and the second Seder.

Friday everyone was off and we met the Hoos' brothers (and their families), his parents and some other folks at the Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport. We then went back to my in-laws house for a dinner of leftovers.

Today was much calmer. You know you have had a rough week if you consider a birthday party for a 3-year old relaxing. I did learn that if you show up to a party with two kids under two by yourself, people want to help. At some points other people were watching BOTH of my kids and I had nothing to do but sit on the couch and chat. It was almost like an hour at a spa; how sad is that?!

1 comment:

nallman said...

You know it was a crazy weekend when you find yourself thinking TGIM instead of TGIF!