Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Short End of the Stick

The guilt is eating away at me. As you have surely noticed my last few posts have focused on LP. She has obviously had quite a significant accomplishment over the last few days and we are thrilled to pieces with her. Unfortunately, poor little AK has been getting the short shrift.

It is necessary to reap praise and congratulations on LP to reinforce her potty success. Couple this with the fact that I have to visit the bathroom with her every time she needs to use the toilet. And finally, consider that LP likes to "help, " so instead of watching me make cookies from a prime position on the floor (e.g., AK in her ExerSaucer) she actively participates.

I feel awful.

Especially since AK is starting to notice that fun things are going on and she is just a passive bystander. Now, when I leave the room to help LP in the bathroom she cries out for me. It seriously sounds like, "Hey! Don't forget about me. Your other daughter. The cute little one with the fuzzy head."

I try to spend time focusing on AK, but it is hard when LP is around. She is a constant whirlwind of activity and requests. She distracts both AK and me. On the other hand, she is often really awesome to sister. Trying to play with her and teach her things. Yesterday she complained to me, "Mommy, AK won't play this puzzle with me."

I know that AK will be asking for and getting her own in just a few short months. Can you moms out there with more than one kid just remind me that they all turn out okay, don't resent you or each other and that this is totally normal?

2 comments:

3XMom said...

well, mine are still little, so I can't guarantee they all turn out ok ;), but i know it is normal - and there will be times when some need/get more than others. I have 3 and it seems my little guy just get dragged to his sister's activities. But I know that there will be times when it is all about him and hopefully in the end they all get that. I wouldn't worry about it - as long as you are trying, it will work out!!!

Tiffany said...

Don't feel bad. LP needs more attention than AK when it comes to doing things. As long as AK is in the room playing and you are talking to her that is fine. Eventually you will be baking and doing things with the both of them at the same time.