Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Celebrating Diversity (and the Holidays)

Next week LP's class is having a cultural diversity luncheon. Since at our day care center you can't call holidays by their real names (instead of a Halloween parade, they had a Storybook parade and had to carry a book that portrayed their "character," Valentines Day is "Friendship Day) this is its way of celebrating the holiday season.

Every family is supposed to bring in a dish that represents their culture. One child is Latino, his mom is bringing empanadas (yum); another family is bringing in Irish soda bread. I am struggling. My grandfather was German and both the Hoos and I have English and Russian ancestors, and probably Polish too, but I can't say that we regularly eat any foods that might represent these backgrounds. We are Jewish, but is that "our culture"? What am I supposed to bring in? Latkes? Matzoh ball soup? If I really wanted to be sure that LP would eat whatever I send in, I would send in bagels. Oy!

On another note, holidays mean teacher gifts. Fortunately, in LP's class I know a lot of the parents and we are all going in on gift cards. The more that participate, the more cost effective and the less likely I am to appear cheap. Which brings me to AK's class. I don't really know any other parents on her side of the classroom. I want to get them something nice, but I don't really want to spend $20+ per teacher to accomplish this. What to get? Last year I got insulated lunch bags with their name's embroidered on them. Not sure how well that was received (I only got one thank you note). Insights?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOW ABOUT TRYING"SAFGANIOT"..JELLY DONUTS...ISRAEL'S ANSWER TO fRIED FOOD? GG

Anonymous said...

Hey! I was thinking of bringing in bagels! Then I figured I should bring in dessert, since that is my expertise! But I don't think the kids will eat Rugulah?

I have found that the teachers really appreciate the home baked goods, so if you want to do something that isn't too expensive as a gift you could bake something & then just package it nicely.. maybe add a $5 or $10 D&D card to go with it? That's what I did for Syd's "after-care" teachers last year, I made Biscotti & put it in a mug & added a $5 gift card from Starbucks.

-DM

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ekuhumajow.builtfree.org/pujiqe.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life