Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lone Wolf

Last night I went to a networking event. This happens once in a blue moon, and it requires the Hoos covering "the night shift" - i.e., day care pick up, playground time, dinner, bath, bed.

I like going to these events because it gives me an opportunity to interact with grown-ups in my field and stay on top of issues and trends (and, natch, keep my name out there in the event anything changes with my current job status). I don't like these things because it takes me out of my routine and I miss my babies. Plus, I know how hard it can be to handle the girls on your own when you are not expecting back up; it can be freeing - or disheartening.

When I got home last night, the girls were already bathed and were hanging out with the Hoos in LP's room, in the dark, quietly telling stories. When I walked in I got an awesome reception - including fantastic and repeated kisses (and not just from the thankful Hoos).

After getting them both settled down I had to go and make their lunches and then select their clothes for today. This is always a challenge. LP has been on a dress kick lately. It is a miracle if I can sneak in a pair of pants. I don't even try most days. If I do try, she rejects what I have picked out and makes the Hoos' morning miserable. This morning was no exception.

I selected a denim skirt, some tights and a long-sleeved tee. Apparently this was not acceptable. The Hoos gave her free reign to wear whatever she wanted. After a long and trying exercise (according to the Hoos) she ended up wearing the skirt. And tights. With a different shirt. Sigh.

We are raising two independent little girls. I am guessing this is what my mother wished on me many moons ago?

No comments: