Thursday, January 28, 2010

Coolest Aunt Ever

Okay, so I know it doesn't count if I bestow that title on myself, but I certainly feel like a pretty cool Aunt. For the record, I say "Ant" the Hoos' family says "Auhnt" and pretty much they all just call me "Amy" anyway.

For her Bat Mitzvah my oldest niece, the Divine Miss M, got a laptop and her first email account. This allowed her to hook up with two of my other nieces, Chill-E and N2, whom reside on the other side of the world in Budapest. M's brother, Homer, also got in on the action and the four of them would chat up a storm using Google Talk.

Last week I got a request from M to get a Gmail account so we could chat as well. It was like being asked to be friends with the popular cheerleader! Except she wasn't "itchy!" She was my wonderful, down-to-earth, 13-year old niece.

Now about once a day she pops in to say "hi" via chat. Of course this is usually at 9:30 at night - when she is doing her homework - or supposed to be doing her HW (like the cool abbreviations I use for chatting?). I think my coolness quotient definitely goes down when I ask her if she is doing her HW or remind her that she should be doing it. But, most awesomely, she still ends every conversation with "love u." I wish I could bank it.

I have also been able to chat with N2 in Hungary. Which is great, because it is hard to stay connected when the time difference is 6 hours.

The cherry on the cake was that yesterday, Homer, the quiet, introspective nephew, invited me to connect with him. We haven't actually chatted yet, but I am looking forward to it.

I know that I blog because often communicating is easier in writing than in person, so I am hoping that this will be a great opportunity for me to connect with my nieces and nephew and reinforce our relationships.

Now I just have to get my 6 and 3 year old nieces in California and my 6-year old nephew to learn how to type!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

That is great. As soon as Mikayla can read and write I know she will be all over the internet and what not and we will have to watch her. Since she knows letters she knows how to get online and pull up pbskids.org and once there she is all over it!