- Nursing Dee the other morning, I was propped up in bed with my pillow against the wall behind me. LP, the little mimic, climbs up next to me with her baby, puts the Hoos' pillow behind her, lifts her shirt and feeds her dolly.
- Do you think he does it on purpose? After being awakened by Dee, as my feet hit the floor next to our bed to go check on her, the Hoos asks, "Do you want me to go get her?" Little late buddy.
- Last night LP had a meal that was almost entirely protein! Hard-boiled egg white, chicken and steak! Sure it was drowned in ketchup (the protein starts out as a vehicle for getting the sweet red stuff to her mouth), but still! This is HUGE.
- Dee and I went to a farmer's market today. One of my purchases was zucchini. I grated one up and mixed it in as I made meatballs earlier. I swear they are the best meatballs I have ever made - very moist and sweet! I baked them and will heat them up for dinner in a pan of sauce and serve them on fresh bread I also got at the market.
Finally, over the last few months I have been baking at least once a week. This week Leonard's had blueberries 4 pints for $5. I couldn't resist. I made the Hoos' favorite blueberry cake, a recipe from my mother-in-law. I highly recommend it and it was very easy:
Elaine's Fruit Torte
- Cream 1 c. sugar and 1/2 c. butter or margarine together.
- Add 1c. flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, dash of salt, & 2 eggs.
- Place in 9" spring form pan.
- Cover entire surface with one of the following or a combination of 1 pint blueberries, 24 halves pitted Italian plums (skin side up), sliced apples, sliced peaches. (In winter frozen or canned blueberries or peaches may be substituted. If using canned fruit, drain and wash off syrup well.)
- Sprinkle top with sugar, a little lemon juice, flour (if fruit is very juicy), and cinnamon (use a heavy hand).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or till toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.