Thursday, July 5, 2007

Get On Up!

It's coming! No, not Christmas - LP walking! During the last few days she has started to take more tentative, but deliberate, steps. And not just when we stand her up and coax her to "come to Mommy!" but on her own, when she sees something she wants on the other side of the room. She starts toward the object of her affection on her two feet before getting wobbly and returning to the crawl position.

This is very exciting, but also very scary. I am not sure why, but I know that everyone says "Once they start walking your life will change forever." She already crawl anywhere she wants, and stands up to reach things over head, and climbs the stairs (always supervised!) so I am unsure how much more of an impact this will have. Yes, I am naive.

Actually, my biggest concern about her walking stems from the speed of the walking and the stamina - and lack thereof. At some point I am sure my little bundle will shirk the stroller and want to walk instead of sit (although I can't imagine why since I would love to have someone else do the work while I enjoy a leisurely ride). This will likely mean that our usual two-mile, 30 minute stroll through the neighborhood, will have to be replaced with a 30 minute walk around the block. Not the end of the world, but for a New Yorker like me, the pace may take some getting used to.

As soon as LP has crossed over to 100% walking instead of crawling I will report back so that all of the other moms out there know what they are getting into. If you have a walker, please enlighten the rest of us on what we should be looking out for. That way you can laugh at me when I post a frazzled picture of myself all frazzled from chasing my little rump roast around.

No comments: