Thursday, June 7, 2007

Affirmation

We all want to know that we are doing the right thing.

But really, how does one gauge if they are a good parent? The fact that my baby girl is healthy and growing - is that enough? Am I a better parent if she talks or walks sooner than other kids? Or am I a better mom if I sit back and let her grow at her own pace? Is being a good guardian reading two books a day to LP instead of one or none?

Maybe once LP starts talking I will get affirmation when she gives me a hug or says "I love you" (sigh, I am sure I will melt every time). I also know there will be times when she yells at me that she hates me for setting boundaries - I know I did (sorry mom and dad) and I hope that I will be thinking clearly enough to know that is a way of saying I am a successful parent in a back-handed compliment sort of way.

I know these questions for the most part are pretty silly, but as a goal-oriented professional, I find it difficult to accept that I need to wait for my daughter to be a healthy, thriving woman to know that I am doing the right thing as a mom. Do I have to wait for LP to have her own working mom blog?

No comments: