Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tell Me Something I Don't Know

Yesterday I missed LP's parent teacher conference. I was too busy listening to a really good book on tape (thanks, Wenderina!).

Fortunately, it wasn't a big deal. LP's teacher gave me the form and told me to call if I had any questions. She didn't have any major concerns, so there was no need to reschedule.

Some of the highlights of the form:
  • "She engages in a process of negotiation to reach a compromise" Like today, when she burst into tears when I said it was time to leave the playground. I gave her two more minutes. "Three?" she countered.
  • "[LP] communicates very well with her peers and teachers. She uses more complex sentences to express ideas and feelings." For example, "I am so so so so so excited for my birthday. At the nature center I get to touch all of the animals first because it is my birthday."
  • "[LP] understands and follows oral direction and she follows two-step direction, and answers questions with great detail." If you ask her what we did this past weekend? Expect at least a five minute monologue. Although the highlight apparently was going to her friend MK's house while MK's daddy and the Hoos exchanged garden plants.
  • "[LP] shows persistence in approaching tasks." Yesterday on the telephone she asked my mom if she wanted pumpkin or carrot seeds (LP and the Hoos had spent some time together planting over the weekend). She asked once, my mom responded, "Okay, pumpkin seeds." LP kept asking the question over and over and over until my mom relented, "Okay, yes, pumpkin AND carrot seeds."
  • Favorite activities and special interests? "...helping her teachers as well as her peers." Reading between the lines - she is an awesome busybody.
  • Situations or experiences that cause distress? "When she is asked to do something she doesn't want to do." Maybe if I had made it to the conference on time I would have learned that this is normal four year old (or thirty four year old) behavior?

No comments: