Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Not My Day Job

Last night was perhaps the worst night's sleep I have had since Dee arrived. I really think she was up all night. And, while she doesn't really cry, she does make noises that keep me awake - especially since she has been sleeping nestled in the crook of my arm.

This morning I planned on staying in bed and letting the Hoos get LP ready for school on his own. Before I was on maternity leave he had his own process and schedule for the three days a week he and LP were on their own, so I wasn't too concerned about copping out this morning. And then, LP woke up at 7. It is one thing to shower and get ready for work while she is sleeping peacefully, or even when she is just recently awake. But she would be awake for a whole hour before he would be prepared to get her breakfast going.Very quickly I realized that sleeping in just wasn't going to happen but I wasn't too bummed since I knew that there would be time to nap later in the day when Dee took a rest.

I got up with both girls around 7:20 and whisked them downstairs so they could both eat. When the Hoos joined us shortly after 8 he noted that LP felt warm. Since she coincidentally had a horrible, awful, nasty dirty diaper, he had the opportunity to check her temperature. Which turned out to be a little over 100...

So, despite my plans, today turned out being my first full day home alone with both of my daughters. I know there are lots of SAHMs that have more than one child home every day, and even lots of moms on maternity leave that have both a newborn and toddler home every day. Those women are awesome. I have the utmost respect and admiration for them and their stamina. That being said, I am not them.

Actually, everything was fine. LP probably watched more TV in a single day than she ever has before, but we also colored and read books and she helped me clean out our office closet while Dee took her first nap of the day.

And then it was nap time. Nap time is always tough for LP, even at school. She would just rather keep right on playing. Of course 10 minutes into me trying to convince LP to nap, Dee wakes up, shredding my dreams of mommy getting a nap in today. Not that it mattered when Dee woke up because it still took almost an hour for LP to fall asleep.

My strategy is to ignore her and let her wear herself out in her bedroom, but her new thing is to yell out, "Mommy, I pooped!" and remove her diaper. This afternoon we went through this twice. Thankfully she didn't actually poop either time, but I am not going to be all "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" and get lulled into complacency. There will be poop one of these times and it ain't gonna be pretty.

Oh, and it is only 2:30...


KiKi said...

Yikes... and on top of all that you found time to blog. Hope that at least helped you blow off some steam. Hang in there, the day's almost over. (Well, at least reinforcements will be there soon.)

Tiffany said...

Ahh with a newborn and a toddler at home it is rough. I have had to deal with the same thing. One weekend Lily and I had a tough night and I was hoping to go back to sleep at 6:30am when I got Lily back down and then Mikayla woke up and needed me right now. No nap that day.

I still won't forget the time I was on maternity leave, I got Mikayla down for her nap, Lily was napping peacefully in my bed with me, I was having a great nap. Then I hear Mommy, Mommy. I wake up from a deep sleep thinking something is wrong, stumble into Mikayla's room and she is up asking for a diaper wipe for her baby! I had to lay down in her bed for a few minutes just to completely wake up.

Wenderina said...

Aha. I knew there was more work to this than you were talking about the first 2 weeks. Bet coming back to office SOMETIMES looks appealing eh? (PLEASE COME BACK..I MISS YOU...AND HAVING BOTH YOU AND KIKI OUT AT SAME TIME IS TORTUROUS!!!!)