Tuesday, September 18, 2007

If I Do Say So Myself

I am very proud of myself. Dinner has become a struggle with LP, but tonight I managed to work a miracle.

First, she refused to eat the Gerber Graduates Chicken and Carrot ravioli. I don't know if it is the texture or what, but as soon as one of them touches her tongue she scrunches up her little face, pushes it out and pushes the entire container of them away.

Next, I tried to give her a Chik'n Patty for protein. Yes, it is tofu, but they taste good and are healthy than frozen process chicken patties. When she turned her nose up at the patty, I was momentarily stuck without a clue. She had meatballs last night and I really like for her to get something relatively nutritious for dinner...

I decided to boil some water and make her some pasta. At least the sauce has vegetables.

Then, inspiration struck: homemade mac and cheese. I vaguely remember the instructions from Alton Brown on Good Eats and I start melting a tablespoon or so of butter and add in the equivalent amount of flour. When I think the roux is good to go, I add in some milk and stir. It looked a little thin, but I decided to be patient before pouring the mess down the sink, and it works because it starts to thicken! Finally, I mix in the only cheese I have in the house - American cheese. I think maybe Alton Brown said that it was good to use because it melts nicely (she says hopefully). Surprisingly it turned out pretty well.

In the meantime LP ate the Chik'N; when I asked her to taste the macaroni she seemed to enjoy it and actually "asked" for seconds and thirds! This might be my most successful dinner in weeks!

1 comment:

Mrs. Booms said...

Congratulations! Dinner time can become such a hard time at that age... Way to problem solve on that one. Sounds like LP ended up being a happy girl...