Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mine! All Mine!

Yesterday the Hoos took the day off to start the long weekend with a day of fishing with his eldest brother. Not to be outdone, I decided to send both girls to day care and take some time for myself. We agreed that it would be easier if neither of us felt guilty.

I had to do some work - including an hour long conference call in the morning - but from 10:30 until 3 I was more or less on my own. I got my first manicure and pedicure since August. Unfortunately this took over an hour - what the heck! I had other things to do! Whatever, I still had three hours after getting out of there at noon. I grocery shopped by myself and ran a few other errands, finished a book, tried out a new recipe for Mediterranean lentil salad, and just enjoyed a day of not having to plan around little munchkin schedules.

During this time I also realized that for the first time in almost 20 months, my body is mine and mine alone. Last year at this time I had a nice, big, round belly. This year I have a smaller, flabbier, empty belly. Even more importantly, my boobs. They are no longer at anyone else's beck and call! AK now takes a bottle before bed - on the changing table where she gets dressed after the bath in fact! - so my nursing bras will be burned to a crisp as soon as we have a firepit this summer.

No comments: