Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Something New and Different

I am concerned that LP and AK are not related.

Last night I made the girls pasta for dinner and chicken, rice and broccoli for the Hoos and me. Yes, i still make different meals for us. It is easier for a lot of reasons - the girls eat an hour or so before the grown-ups, LP pretty much only eats pasta as a main dish...

When I put the plate with pasta in front of AK you would have thought it was a plate of worms, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want pasta! I want rice! And chicken with orange sauce! And broccoli!"

See what I mean?

Also, after a few days housebound due to holidays and snow, I am also seeing other differences:
  • AK is a couch spud. She will sit in front of the television watching Nick Jr. On Demand ALL DAY given the option.
  • LP is a project queen. Give her scissors, markers and some paper and she is content for at least an hour. If you add paint to the mix you might get two hours.
  • LP is a camel. She pees maybe twice a day. AK goes every half hour.

I am also trying something new and different. For the past few months I have been feeling really not so great about my appearance.

My new job is great, but I work in a tiny office, on a main road. While there is certainly no exercise in my day, now there is not even any walking as part of my day to make me at least feel semi-active. In October I started getting up at 6 to walk for 45 minutes before starting the day, but now that it is below 20 degrees in the morning, getting out of bed is just not happening.

So, since it appears I will not be integrating exercise into my routine any time soon, I decided to do something about my diet. I have never been on a diet before. And not that I am on a diet now. I am just TRYING to modify some things to see if it has an impact on my weight or at least my Gretal sense of fitness. On Friday I decided to pilot a program to cut most carbs and sugar out of my diet. So when we had Chinese on Christmas Even, I didn't eat rice and I didn't put sugar in my tea. I also didn't snack on junk all day.

I am just "trying something." I am committed to trying and seeing how it goes. So far I have been able to stick to it for the most part, the only sugar I have had is on the dried cranberries I added to salad. I know it isn't going to be easy to maintain, and I am not expecting instant results, but I am at least feeling good about the fact that I am doing something.

No comments: