Saturday, December 11, 2010

Setting Expectations

The Hoos has been working lots of long hours. I am sure he is suffering more than I am, but it does mean that I am spending lots of quality time with my two lovelies. I love them, they are fabulous (really!) but I am tired. And, to be honest, as much as we miss the Hoos' physical presence, it is easier to have him working in his office as opposed to at home. If he was at home I would have unspoken expectations of assistance, and this way I just take care of things on my own, in my own way.

Today the girls joined me on a day of errands. The treat in the middle was lunch at Bertucci's. Both LP and AK were actually very well behaved and relatively quiet, considering they were hungry and had spent their morning going in and out of the car for stops at LL Bean, DSW, and Target.

After we had ordered but before lunch had arrived an older couple sat down behind us. At the same time they sat down, LP and AK were in the middle of laughing and singing and AK let out a silly, happy BURP. The lady looked over her shoulder at me, then glanced at the girls and said, "Santa is watching..." LP looked at me with a "Whaaa?" look and AK didn't even hear her. She repeated herself and said to me, "I don't think that one [pointing at AK] even heard. Do they understand what I mean?"

First of all, if I was a kid and someone said that to me, I would be totally creeped out. I mean, does he watch you in the bathroom? I responded, "Well, she is probably thinking, Chanukah is already over and I got all my presents."

The next time I turned around someone else was being seated. I guess I offended her or we were too loud. I guess her expectations for the lunch crowd at Bertucci's was a bit different than my reality.

3 comments:

Lori said...

That's awesome - good for you. :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you A! I'm so annoyed by strangers who think they need to help you parent your kids.
-MLH

Anonymous said...

Ditto on MLH's comment and also annoyed that they assume religious affiliations on top of it. You handled with class as always. -
DS