Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Genuine Genius?

It continues to amaze me how much LP picks up from the world around her. We can say a word once and she might repeat it back right away. Or she might hold on to it and use it again - appropriately - when the time is right. Some examples:
  • If she sees that the bird feeder is empty, she will say "seeds", put on her coat and pick up the 10 pound bag of seed and attempt to walk out the door with it.
  • Last weekend we took her temperature (rectally) a few times since she seemed to have a cold. Later in the day she pulled a chair up to the counter, got the thermometer down and attempted to take Baby's and Moo's temperatures (again rectally)...after feeling their keppes (heads) and telling us they felt hot.
  • Pulling the blanket over her head and calling out "Nooooo" when the Hoos tries to get her up in the morning. And when he says "Do you want to stay in bed?" and she responds "N...Yessssssss."
And then there are some times that I am just not sure what she is thinking...

In case you couldn't tell from my post yesterday, I wasn't feeling great. I was tired, cranky, and have a cold. To say my butt was dragging by the time I got home at the end of the day would have been an understatement - more like, I needed a forklift to drag my butt around.

As I tried to get LP to eat some dinner, she was either challenging me at the wrong time (acting her age) or trying to lift my spirits (acting wise beyond her year). Maybe to her taking a mouthful of water from her sippy cup and slowly spitting it out all over herself is some hysterical new comedy routine? And perhaps asking for more tortellini and when I return to the room with a new plateful, spitting out a chewed one and them mooshing it up in her hands and sprinkling it all over the floor is performance art?

Another day of mommyhood. And yet I am still loving every minute of it.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Just wait until she gets a little closer to 3. Mikayla suprises me every day with what she is remembering, even if I only mentioned something once she will bring it up later.

Anonymous said...

children amaze their parents no matter how old they are. Keep up the great work it is truly gratifying to see the results.

A's Mom said...

It's amazing that they dish all that out and we still ask for more. What a wonderful job motherhood can be!

Stephanie said...

I think they sense the funk in us with their Spidey Sense. It causes them to become funky and then it's just ugly from there...

Oh the days of mashed up tortellini on the floor... :)