Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Working Mom Work Ethic

I am betting most working moms are like me - you have a constant sense of guilt hovering just above you. Like a rain cloud. Worried that you are not spending more time with your little angel, that you are not focusing on your work, that people think you are taking advantage when you work from home...

Let's face it, the working mom works harder. We don't want people thinking that we are relaxing and blowing off work when we are working from home, so we get up early, check our email constantly, and probably end up accomplishing the same amount that we would during a full day in the office plus doing the laundry, the grocery shopping, changing diapers, etc. Which makes me even more livid watching others take advantage.

My parents are both public school teachers who rarely took a sick day, brought home tests to grade, report cards to be filled out. They taught me the value of hard work and they also taught me that others depend on me.

Everyone has things that some up, everyone needs time to deal with the little things in life, but to see people using their children as an excuse to not work so hard or to miss a long planned, often rescheduled meeting, really gets me steamed. Do I need to lighten up or is there a trend out there?

No comments: