Thursday, January 18, 2007

Who Needs Sleep?

My little LP was an angel in terms of sleeping for a grand total of 2.5 months. People would give us incredulous looks when we she said she slept through the night - from 9:30pm-8am. We would think "We are so lucky" and gloat in private. And then...things changed.

What happened? I wish we knew. We just keep guessing teething? belly hurt? growth spurt? Who the heck knows - but it stinks. When she was a newborn, waking up in the middle of the night was expected, it was tolerated, it was possible to go to work with only 4 solid hours of sleep. Now I crawl out of bed and whine after getting up at 4:30, 5:30 or 6:30.

I think she must know that the last 15 minutes before my alarm goes off (at 6:30) are the most precious, because at 6:15 this morning she decided to start talking to herself - loudly. As in turning off the monitor does no good - you can hear it anyway. It is a good thing she is cute.

1 comment:

Mom2Courtney said...

Sleep is a luxury. I remember sleeping for 15 hours on the weekends back in college. Now that was sleep! Courtney was a great sleeper from the start. Even the first few weeks in her bassinet, she would just open her eyes and stare up at the bears hanging from the mobile above. I came back to work well rested. Then this past fall she started to wake up in the middle of the night. Being the softy that I am, I can't let her cry too long. I did however wait to go in and get her until she was really crying, not just whimpering and rolling over and putting herself back to sleep. I lie down with her every night on my bed and read or sing to her and she eventually falls asleep (I don't know if it is that she is tired or can't stand listening to my off pitch singing). Once she is in REM sleep, I put her in the crib, close the door and pray that I can get a few hours of good sleep in before she awakes and I bring her into my bed. I know that I shouldn't do that, but she does go back to sleep. And sleep is a luxury to me.