Thursday, January 26, 2012

Tag! You're It!

Despite my anxiety about traveling for work, my trip to Colorado went well, as I said in the last post.

In all honesty, I don't mind traveling. I have my Kindle, and my cell phone, and my laptop. I am plugged in, entertained and well fed.I don't sleep too well, but at least I have a big bed all to myself.

The worst part about traveling is the guilt. You would think I would feel most guilty about leaving the girls. But you would be wrong. Of course I miss the girls, but I spend lots of time with them, too. I am most guilty about leaving the Hoos.

While I don't know what it is like to be a single parent, I do know what it is like to spend a day or a night single-parenting. And it is HARD. And TIRING. And I feel really bad leaving the Hoos for a night or two on his own. For the record, he feels guilty when he leaves me too. It is just natural.

That being said, when I was away, the Hoos and the girls did just fine. I think the Hoos kind of liked leaving work a early on Tuesday to get LP off the bus. In fact the text he sent me was, "LP had a great day". When I asked later what was so great, he indicated basically his comment was based on her huge smile when she ran off the bus.

Other texts he sent me, included:
  • Can LP and AD take Doritos with lunch
  • Is cream cheese and jelly sandwich, doritos and slices of apple enough for AK? Same for LP but peanut butter and fluff
  • Going to Penny's [the local diner] with my parents tonight
  • We are at my parent's for bagels. Wish you were here
So, reading between the lines, he needed the most guidance on packing lunches (my job, which I hate, but it is a fact of parenthood) and he didn't have the girls alone for dinner either night I was away.

To me, what all of this really means? Is that I shouldn't feel guilty about going away. The Hoos is on top of things and doesn't even really need me.

No comments: