Monday, April 9, 2012

The Evolving Kids' Table

Hard to believe it is already April. APRIL!

Once again, my mom and dad and grandmother pulled off a fabulous, food- and family-filled Passover Seder. This year there were only 35 attendees. My mother-in-law hosted us for the second Seder (also wonderful) and there were 21 guests. Pulling off a sit-down dinner like this is a true feat. I am happy to say that it is also one that I have not yet had to attempt.

Like most family events - no matter what your background - both Seders had a "kids' table."

When I was a kid there was a "kids' table" with me and my brother and my seven cousins once we were old enough to be left to our own devices.

Unfortunately for several of my cousins, they are still sitting at the "kids' table". Only now it is called the "young, single" table. Two of my nieces (11 and 13) brought down the average age to 22.

That isn't to say that there weren't a lot of little kids at my parent's house. There were actually 7 kids under the age of 6; and, as much as LP likes to lead the charge and act like the other hen, no one thought she was up to the task of watching her second cousins. 


On the second night, we had a true kids table that included LP and AK. The average age was 9.

I have to say, it is still kind of odd to me that I don't fit it at any kids' table - no matter what the composition! 





No comments: