Monday, June 15, 2009

All Knowing

I have reached the point in my personal and professional life where I accept that I don't have all of the answers. Not that this knowledge satisfies any one else's desire for information, but at least I no longer torture myself for not being able to respond to every question or situation immediately.

It has actually taken me a long time to get here. And, I know that some people will never be able to comfortably say, "I'm sorry, I just don't know the answer. I can look into it for you, but there are no promises."

That being said, there are some things that I do know:
  1. OxyClean is the mac-daddy. I had an entire Facebook conversation with four other smart, talented, hard-working moms about the merits of the different types of OxyClean. I am a soaker. almost every load of laundry contains at least three items pre-soaked in a bucket of powdered OxyClean and warm water.
  2. Bribery is an effective tool. We all hate to do it, but we all know that the way to get a toddler to do anything is by offering or taking away. One of the few things that actually works.
  3. Everyone is different. I have two little girls. Born two years and four days apart. Aside from being wonderful and adorable and awesome, I don't think they have much in common. AK's first tooth finally broke through this weekend - the top right; LP got her first at 7.5 months, bottom left. Stupid analogy, but just the tip of the iceberg.
  4. There is no going back. I work part-time. Now that I have kids there is no way in the foreseeable future that I could go back to working full-time (of course, I would if I had to). I need the extra 10 hours not in the office to maintain our household - the groceries, the laundry, the everything.

And some things that I admit I do not know:

  1. Snot. The origins and what, why and how.
  2. Sleep. Why we always want more and never have enough.
  3. Time. How to harness it and how it can fly by and crawl at the same time. LP was asking me about the pedals in the car last week and how I make it go and stop. SHE IS THREE and trying to learn how to DRIVE.
  4. Tantrums/Moods. Where they came from, why the come and how to control them. LP become another person for a brief period of time and is smiling fifteen minutes later. Meanwhile I want to sell her on eBay.

No comments: