Friday, August 15, 2008

Full-On Cuddle

For the past week or so I have been opening the gate to LP's room after nursing Dee. I try to remember to do it after her second feeding, which tends to be sometime between 5 and 6. This has been working out well because LP typically wakes up around 7:15 and this way she can come right to our room without the Hoos or me having to get up to let her out.

Yes, we have a baby gate by the door of LP's room. She does sleep in her big girl bed but if we didn't have the date it is very likely that she would wander out several times before going to sleep. In addition, we do this for her own safety. We don't want her attempting to go down the stairs when it is pitch black in the middle of the night.

Anyway, this morning I nursed Dee at 2:30 and then again at 5. Around 5:15 I put Dee back in her crib and quietly unlatched the gate. At an ungodly hour I hear the pitter patter of little feet. "Mama! Uppy!". The Hoos grumbled, "It is 6!" I passed this information on to LP and told her to go back to bed. Upon hearing this, she started crying. It worked, I pulled her into bed and begged her to try to sleep.

And sleep she eventually did. On my pillow. My half of the bed became my quarter of the bed. I have to admit, it wasn't all bad. It was pretty nice to have LP's soft, cool skin smooshed up next to me.

At 7, Dee requested to join us, slurping loudly on her hands. Obviously no one else in the bed was going to go and get her, so while I dragged my butt to her bedroom to retrieve the hungry little angel, LP made herself even more comfortable, my quarter became an 8th. That I had to share with Dee while nursing, which does not inspire the most comfortable positions.

Despite my backache and exhaustion today, I have to say the soft, rhythmic breathing of my two daughters did make me very thankful for my healthy, beautiful family.

No comments: